2.2.10

Jôc gwael ond addysgol.....

The good thing about being a 'dysgwr' is that there is always something (mostly too much) to learn, and learning can be an exciting process... well sometimes.

The other day I turned on the teledu at lunch time which just happened to be tuned into S4C from the previous night. In the mornings 'Cyw' is on the air, programmes aimed at pre-school children, and not something I normally watch, though in its own way useful to learners I'm sure.

Anyway, I heard (and understood!) a couple of jokes, one of which reminded me of when and where I learned a particular Welsh word!

Felly... at y cellwair (so... to the joke)


Be' wyti'n galw 'Jac Codi Baw' cyfeillgar?........... Jac Codi Llaw!! LOL

Ok, so jokes that need explaining aren't really funny, but we can learn from 2nd language jokes.....

Jac Codi Baw = Jack pick up dirt = JCB. Cyfeillgar = friendly. To wave to someone in Welsh is to raise your hand, "Codi Llaw", so 'Jac Codi Llaw' is a JCB that waves at you!!

I remember a number of years ago standing waiting for the tram that heads up the Gt. Orme (Y Gogarth), and a Nain saying to her grandaughter 'Coda dy law', and seeing the toddler waving in response. It didn't take me too long to work out the idiom, one I have never forgotten.

Gyda llaw/By the way: To wave other things such as a flag or piece of paper is to 'chwifio' e.g. dwi'n chwifio baner (flag) Cymru.

1 comment:

  1. Ti'n wedi bod gwrandwch i ormod Max Boyce dw i'n meddwl!
    Gyda llaw, fy ffrind Sid wedi bod dioddefewr o ladrad hunanieath. Dw i calw fe 'S' rwan.....
    (ofanadwy-mae'n ddrwg gen i).
    neu falle 'ma; be' wyti'n galw Lerpwl heb Gerard a Torres?
    Bolton Wanderers.
    (dw i'n medru siarad!)

    ReplyDelete